March 12, 2020
Do you know exactly what type of video you want to do? Or are you completely clueless? Either way, you'll be able to create your video much faster with Storykit's Smart Templates.
– One problem we’ve always tried to solve at Storykit is to help storytellers get started with their video production. We want them to be able to hit the ground running, says Fredrik Strömberg, VP Product at Storykit.
Working with templates has been possible in Storykit for quite some time. One of the great benefits with the tool is that it’s easy to create templates and to share them both within and outside of the organisation. With newly released Smart Templates, this task becomes even easier than before.
– This is a feature that will make a difference for people that don’t have the faintest idea of what type of video they want to make. When you have a template library that you can play with to get ideas, you might get the inspiration you need to get started. But templates are equally helpful for users that know exactly what they are going to do and want to do it as quickly as possible.
Working with templates is also a great thing when you want to protect the brand’s integrity in an organisation that has a lot of different people making videos.
– In a bigger organisation you might have a graphic designer who decides that “all our quotes need to look like this”, in which case they can create a module for that and share it with everyone. Or why not build a library with quote modules for all managers?
Another plus is that when there are templates available, the video creator can focus more on the content.
– You can save time that might otherwise be wasted on trying to figure out how to communicate a message in a “well-designed” way, which many people may not have the necessary time or competence to do, and instead focus on telling a story as efficiently as possible.
Sometimes people ask if there is a risk that “everything looks the same” when you work with a template. What do you think about that?
– In this case: that’s the whole point! There are many organisations that have a huge number of reoccurring formats. They might just replace an image and title because they want the tone to be consistent. That’s when templates are extremely helpful. We’ve helped customers with templates that they can use to go from start to finish in less than two minutes when they create a video.
But you can certainly leave the templates aside and play around as you wish with Storykit.
– We have lots of users who enjoy being creative with the graphics in the tool and that’s brilliant too.
But how do you create a template? Isn't it... super hard?
– I wouldn't say so, but it's worth spending some extra time and energy on a template, compared to a regular project, since it's designed to be used again and again, says Emma Hjalmarsson, Customer Success Manager at Storykit.
Emma has created innumerable templates for many of our customers, but also for internal use here at Storykit.
– The best way to create a template is to identify a format; a sort of story that you keep coming back to. A classic example of a format that's worth templating is, of course, the recruitment ad.
The vast majority of companies already have a format for their written recruitment ads and there is often visual material available.
– I would take a real recruitment ad and design it really well. I would put some time on making neat animations, colours and groupings. Make sure that you use slide notes as well, to describe the purpose of each slide and how they should be used by the video maker. If you do that, anyone in your organisation can easily use the template.
When you're happy with your new recruitment ad, you remove all assets and text and keep it as a template instead.
– Then you'll be able to choose it as your template each time you open a new storyboard, which means that you can make your videos even faster, Emma adds.
Are you a Storykit user and want to try out one of our templates? You'll find the Storykit ID here, together with some handy instructions. Copy the ID, watch the video and go wild!
September 21, 2022
The answers to some of your most-asked questions about video creation and marketing on social media
September 19, 2022
Here's how you keep your socials strong, and up to speed, without compromising your brand.
September 13, 2022
By decentralizing your content production you're making it available and scalable for all individuals. Here's how to do it well.