December 9, 2019
One second. That's how much time you need to catch someone's attention before your reader has scrolled by. Here is everything you need to know to communicate with your customers on Instagram – successfully.
Instagram users are fast scrollers. Compared to Facebook, where the text comes first, Instagram works the opposite way: the focus is on the visual. That’s why you need to treat your social media channels differently. What works on one platform might not work everywhere.
But how does advertising on Instagram set itself apart from other platforms? What are the do’s and dont’s? We asked social media expert Cecilia Lyche Simonsson, CMO at Be Better Online:
– Don’t be afraid to experiment, and try things out when it comes to social media. It’s always better to do than don’t.
But Instagram is not just a news feed – there are numerous functions to market yourself. Here are some tips for the different features to try on Instagram.
The story-function is superior on Instagram. Loosen up your tie and use Instagram Stories for a generous and more personal approach.
– We’re not talking about non-personal, non-social media. Dare to show a glimpse of the person behind the company, give a little more of yourself.
When it comes to the feed, Cecila Lyche Simonsson recommends a variation between images and video to increase curiosity.
– Video is great to increase engagement early in the buyer's journey. When you post images, the gallery function is very attractive and it encourages the viewer to interact with your content. We want to know more and will swipe to see what's on the next image.
IGTV has been a feature on Instagram since 2018. Here you can post longer videos, compared to the news feed, where you are limited to 60 seconds.
– There are divided opinions on IGTV in the industry. Some are very positive, while others mean that the users aren’t there yet: The audience doesn’t go to Instagram to watch long videos, says Cecilia Lyche Simonsson.
Here are her best tips for IGTV:
All companies can thrive off Instagram marketing. You can push sales, build your brand image or attract new employers. Many companies also audit Instagram – use it as a search engine for research. But a good presence requires an effort.
To succeed, make sure you have time and money for advertising. When you’ve decided to use Instagram in your marketing there are some things you need to avoid.
Here are Cecilia’s best advise to avoid common mistakes:
Are you expecting too much from one single post? If you want people to watch a video, while asking them a question and wanting them to click and convert – you can count on being disappointed.
– Define your purpose. For example: “This post is to build loyalty with my existing followers”, and then you target it to a specific audience, says Lyche Simonsson.
Social media is like a chat room where everyone is typing at the same time and you need to catch their attention. That won’t happen if you’re talking in general terms when you’re aiming towards your target audience. You need to adjust your tone of voice so that your audience identifies with you.
– If I say a sentence and put your name first, you will listen, says Lyche Simonsson.
Avoid selecting target audiences by demographics, like age, gender and area code. Use data and target users based on their behaviour. Create target audiences from your existing customers, people who have shown interest in your products and/or have visited your website, says Cecilia Lyche Simonsson.
September 21, 2022
The answers to some of your most-asked questions about video creation and marketing on social media
September 19, 2022
Here's how you keep your socials strong, and up to speed, without compromising your brand.
September 13, 2022
By decentralizing your content production you're making it available and scalable for all individuals. Here's how to do it well.