August 20, 2019
Writing the perfect caption on your social media post can feel like a task up there with climbing Mount Everest. It’s difficult, it takes time and it’s actually of more importance than you think. Therefore, we'll guide you to great social media copy for your posts.
A good caption can be the difference between success or failure when you post an article or video on social media. You want your followers to get involved, feel understood and included, and perhaps offer them a laugh every now and then.This is easier said than done.
Motion Director, Storykit
Too many people produce content without reflecting on what they want to convey. That’s a waste of time and resources.
– The caption is usually the first thing consumers read and therefore it’s very important, because it can easily be the last thing customer read if you don’t think about how you communicate, says Christian Geijer, Motion Director at Storykit and former distribution manager at Kit.
Most companies have a target audience. But the way you communicate can differ depending on which platform you are on. Therefore, you need a clear content strategy for each channel that tells who the social media posts is for and how to write good and effective copy for them.
– The Swedish museum Livrustkammaren is a commonly used example of someone who has succeeded well. The contents of the museum may not attract everyone, but through adapted communication on Facebook they got new people to the site and the museum.
"Monday, New Week, New Possibilities. #powersuit #skyisthelimit"
In your social media copy you can entertain, engage, discourage or create needs. But always try to see your message as something more than just a way to reach conversion from social media to your site.
– The message itself can provide a service to your consumers. It is an experience in itself. It is actually something that people read, so treat it accordingly. Because if they don't click on your link and the caption is in fact the only thing they read, that experience should be worth taking advantage of.
There are plenty of options when it comes to communicating well on social media. There are no right and wrongs – it all depends on what you are communicating.
– You can weave your message and the video/article you are posting together, but you can also sort of use them against each other. It's all about experimenting with the dynamic between the two and constantly thinking about what message you want to get out there.
– People on the internet are better than you can ever believe when it comes to whether the sender and the message are genuine or not. It's always better to be honest than good when communicating on the internet, says Christian Geijer.
Learn more about how to master social media in our social media marketing guide!
September 21, 2022
The answers to some of your most-asked questions about video creation and marketing on social media
September 19, 2022
Here's how you keep your socials strong, and up to speed, without compromising your brand.
September 13, 2022
By decentralizing your content production you're making it available and scalable for all individuals. Here's how to do it well.